Thursday, January 7, 2010

Damn you, Blue

I’ve got a problem. I need some help. It isn’t booze or cigarettes, excessive buying of ballerina flats or an obsession with cashmere. It’s a Delft problem. More specifically, the world of Delftware. You know, the blue-and-white porcelain that your Grandma is saving for you.

I’m not sure when it started, but it has taken hold of me. Whenever I see something with that amazingly crisp combo of blue and white... Oh man, I’m sold. Whether it is a cheap Pier 1 lamp or a strangely expensive picture frame or a doorknob or the border of a stationary set… the list goes on and on.

After I made it through the middle school years, I had a no-blue policy. Jeans were ok, but all else was banned for a while. In my awkward years, I would usually wear blue jeans with an Old Navy blue shirt. This combo, coupled with my dorky glasses and low ponytail, represented my most awkward phase. It was the Bat Mitzvah year.

After I made it through, I did not want to remember those times – so I stayed away from navy.

Then at some point, I fell madly in love with Delft and have collected its offspring like it’s my job. There. I said it. Isn’t the first step always self awareness?


Charming little Dutch Delfties


Navy linen tablecloth from Williams Sonoma


Blue Hydrangeas, my wedding flower... my obsession


Example of Delftware, the blue and white pottery made in Delft in the 16-18th centuries



A gorgeous design for a dining room, once again, blue and white come into play...

More blue, blue, blue...

1 comment: